Saturday, May 21, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas

Hi all!  I'm on my way back home from visiting family in MN (it's a bit weird to call the new house "home" and my childhood house my parents' house, but that's really the way it is now).  I have a TON of things to share, including beautiful pictures from my trip to San Francisco, lots of yummy eats on the trip, and highlights of my MN trip, but to tide you over, let's go with something Brendan and I made right before I left for the week.  Hope you enjoy!

Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas

In the interest of full disclosure, I was inspired to make this dish when I received a (free) bottle of KC Masterpiece Buffalo sauce through the Foodbuzz Tastemaker program.  But I will now be making these on days when we need something quick and delicious - they are really, really good!














Ingredients:
Boneless, skinless chicken breast (1-2 feeds 2 people, depending on how big the chicken is)
KC Masterpiece buffalo sauce (or, well, probably any buffalo sauce)
Shredded cheese (I used a "Mexican" blend from the store, but you could shred your own cheddar too)
Onions and/or peppers
Tortillas - 2 per person
Sour cream, salsa, or anything else you want for dipping

Directions:
Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.  Marinate for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator with buffalo sauce.  When you're done marinating, turn on your broiler.

Cook onions and peppers in a saucepan over medium heat with a bit of olive oil for around 10 minutes, until they are soft.

While cooking the vegetables, place chicken pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the broiler until pieces are no longer pink - around 5 minutes.  Remove chicken and preheat oven to 350.

For each quesadilla, put one tortilla on a baking sheet, then top with chicken, cooked vegetables, and a handful of cheese.  Fold the tortillas in half and bake at 350 for around 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.

Let cool a bit and serve with sour cream, salsa, or another dipping sauce.


My honest review?  I think the buffalo sauce was great.  I was worried that it would be too hot when the label said "HOT" on it - but the flavor was pretty mild.  Brendan loves spice and would have liked a bit more kick - but I really enjoyed it.  You do need to use a lot of sauce to marinate, and adding some at the end would probably help add back a bit more spice - but for a quick and easy dinner, this was a great idea.

Would I buy it again?  Probably....but maybe not very soon.  I love BBQ and use a lot of it, but buffalo is a bit of a niche flavor.  And as with any sauce like this, there is plenty of added sugar and sodium to be concerned about.  Overall, the sauce is exactly what I would expect - a great way to add flavor to something quickly for a weeknight dinner, but not the end all and be all of culinary excellence.

Thanks to KC Masterpiece for sending me the sauce to try - we really enjoyed it!

With that, I'm out - I have a flight to catch!  But, assuming I'll be less stressed now that I'm mostly moved in and over my cold, we'll be back to the regularly scheduled program this week.

2 comments:

  1. yay!!! when are you coming back to visit???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dunno yet - there are too many variables to even figure out....I will try to coordinate w/ you as soon as I sort things out!

    ReplyDelete